Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Missing the big hunts!

So, as most of you know, the Gatten's are hunters. While growing up, I cherished spending time in the outdoors with my Dad and siblings. We grew so close, and it was so fun. My favorite part was getting out there really early in the morning, and then listening to the forest come alive. I dare to admit that I shot 5 deer growing up, but I am sad to admit I haven't shot any for a while! Living far from home is always hard during hunting season. Lucky for me, I still get to hear the stories and see pictures. Unlucky for me, we have had to buy our meat for most of our marriage. So, here is my Dad, who drew a tag in a specific area in Montana that has HUGE elk. And of course, being the expert hunter he is, he got this one.

This next picture is of my youngest brother, Spike. He took his "senior trip" to Canada with my brother Dusty, and they went goose and duck hunting. I am so proud of my little brother, who just left on his mission yesterday to Manaus, Brazil. He is in the San Paulo, Brazil MTC.

Here is a picture of the Montana hunt. I think they brought home 9 deer. Here are the big ones. From left to right, Tyler (married to my sister Mikin), Brett, Dad, Tom.

Although I can't shoot a bow (like the majority of my family), haven't shot a moose (like the majority of my family including my younger sister, Brynne), and haven't shot anything for 7 years, I still am proud to be a Gatten. We have talked often of creating a maternity camo line of clothing. :) Someday I will live close again, and Brynne and I can trade babysitting to go hunting. I'll never forget the day we had a half day of school, and decided to go hunting alone. I was 14, and she was 12. I shot a whitetail buck (deer), and her and I had to gut it and drag it down to my mom who was waiting to take me to piano lessons. :) Someday we can be hunting buddies again. :)

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Wow, I never took you for a hunter! I have never been hunting or even held a gun or bow, and then only dead deer or elk I've seen is on the side of the highway! Anyway, my brother in law hunts in Utah all the time, so I have tried deer and elk meat. It's a little different but wasn't too bad. And how fun for you brother down in the Brazil MTC. My brother gets home on Dec. 12 from Louisville. How exciting for you though!

Andrea said...

My Dad and brothers would be so jellous of these great pictures and the catch of course. I have to admit, I never got into the hunting, but have sat in the hay fields listening to the calls with my dad. My dad was generous enough to give us a whole white tail, (the meat) and I forgot how much I've missed it. Yet again, another thing in common. Miss you.

Laurie said...

Jeremy is wishing his kill was as big as some of these. Soooo jealous! Miss you!

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

seeing you talk about the gatten's and mentioning mikin's name made me remember that she is your sister. it's so weird that we just figured that out right before we left cleveland. i can't believe how big those elk/deer were. my boys were watching me read your blog and we had a nice lesson in the fact that meat was really once an animal. i don't think they believed me.