Sunday, March 8, 2009

surgery

Cooper is now without tonsils. And adnoids. Why did he get them out? They were HUGE! The ENT said he got the award for the biggest he'd seen that day, at his consultation. Why the consultation? He was such a loud snorer. I couldn't sleep in the same room as him, and why not get them out while he was young and it was free (thanks to the Air Force!). Then, the consultation confirmed that the benefits out-weighed the risks. He said they took up over 90% of his throat, and would be a major risk to his breathing if they ever got infected. He said since he snores, still takes a lot of naps, and wakes up in the night, they are affecting his sleep as well. He said he would have more energy, and be less fatigued when he starts all-day kindergarten next year and can't have his naps. 

So... our brave boy did it! I think we were more scared then he was. The hardest part was drawing his blood for the labs the week before. I get SO MAD at nurses you ask, "Are you nervous?", or say, "You should be nervous... you wouldn't be normal if you weren't a little nervous." Cooper was all geared up, actually strangely excited, for everything, and the nurses kept putting it in his head that he should be scared. It was making me angry. 

My mom had melignant hypothermia when she was under general anesthesia once (you body temperature raises super high, super fast...makes doctors freak out to know it's in my family), and the trait is genetic, so Cooper couldn't have the gas to make him loopy. So, they gave him some oral medicine, Versed (sp?). It was so funny to see him get all loopy and start laughing hysterically. He kept saying Beckett had 4 eyes, I had 2 heads, and just cracking up. It was cute. The anesthesiologist was great, and put us at ease. He just picked Coop up and carried him into the operating room. No matter what, it is not fun to picture your kiddos under general anesthesia. Andrew was a little nervous too, cause he saw a case with a little girl last year, in his residency, where things got hairy. She was fine, but it made him realize how quick something could happen. 

Cooper was NOT a fan of his IV being in after surgery. He wanted it OUT NOW! But, they have to keep it in for about an hour, until they know they won't have to use the port again for meds. So, we put ice on it to try and make him forget about it. Luckily Dad, his favorite person, took the day off to help him through the recovery. Beckett tagged along too, and Gunner was at Keva's (thanks again!). 

He really wanted to take his tonsils home to show his preschool class... but they wouldn't let him. We snapped a quick picture though. 
He did a great job recovering, except for some digestive issues caused by the codeine. He was at the park the next day! We are so proud of you Cooper! You are so brave!

6 comments:

Lowd and Proud said...

Those darn nurses!!!! I hate it when people scare kids like that. Dentists get a bad rap for that reason alone....as I'm sure you know. Good job Coop!! I love that he wanted to show his preschool class. That's awesome!

Fab Five said...

I'm glad things worked out!!! Does he still snore? The day after we brought Carson home from the hospital we had to put him in the next room because he was so loud! He'll be in the other room with the door closed and I can still hear him! I talked to two pediatricians and they both blew me off but I'm sure we'll be in the situation in a couple of years.

Tiff Gatten said...

That was sick! I can't believe he wanted them. He'll feel so much better now. I hope he's doing well.

That Versed (sp?) is funny. Tim's wife's brother gave some to Channy when he worked on her, and she was crazy. He begged me not to tell the story to any of your family though... He had a rough go with her. I think she has to go visit him again soon...He'll be so excited. lol.

Johansen Family said...

Good job Cooper! He will have to tell me what it feels like so that I can get ready to get mine out!

wurstens5 said...

Glad everything went well. The Versed is very funny. They gave some to Brandon before they removed his cyst from his eyelid. He was cracking me up.

Brynne said...

Poor Coop.