Monday, October 8, 2007

A Wild Weekend

We have discovered one more thing we like about the Air Force...we get all the "bank holidays" off. So, in honor of Columbus Day, we had a good 3-day weekend together. It was a lot of fun watching conference, but here are some other fun events.

First of all a trip to the zoo on Friday. The St. Louis Zoo was a lot of fun. Cooper makes sure we distinguish between the "St. Louis" Zoo and the real zoo... the Cleveland Zoo. The first pictures are the hippos. It is fun to get the underwater view...and neat to see the fish eating off them...or kissing them as Cooper says. The next pic is the cute baby elephant. It was so fun to watch him toddle around. There are so many elephants there. They have a few places in the zoo where kids can get wet and cool off. It would have been nice to know so we could bring a change of clothes, but it didn't stop Cooper! The "Children's Zoo" part also had a place to go in and pet the goats. Cooper took a seat right next to one! The zoo keeper brought out a barn owl too. It was one of Gunner's favs along with the snake, porcupines, and fish. Because the zoo is FREE, thanks to budweiser, we treated ourselves to icecream before heading home.



Saturday we went bowling on-base. Gunner spends everyday finding empty cups, juice cups, and water bottles around the house to use for "bowlin" around the house, so he was so excited to do the real thing. He used a ramp. Cooper is getting good at just running and throwing his ball. I think both boys beat the parents! Well, before we even got started, Gunner tried to pic up my ball and slipped, dropped the ball, which bounced, and fell on his hands. The bowling ball came right down on his finger with Andrew and me just watching. It was so sad, and he kepts holding up his immediately swollen hand saying "I brake it!" Then, later that night, something happened while he was playing by himself in Cooper's room, and he came out with this black eye. Rough day!



Today we went to the Science Center--another great FREE thing about St. Louis! There was this huge T-Rex exhibit with a bloody Triceretops that looked like it was breathing and moving around. The T-Rex was moving around and roaring. I have to say, neither boy was too excited...more scared. The did have a really neat "Discovery Room" for the younger kids. Cooper could have stayed there all day.


Gunner is a big colorer lately. I love the way his sits when he colors. So intense! The bad new is each time he colors...he usually sneaks a few pictures in on furniture or walls!


This wasn't part of the weekend, but we discovered this really neat wooden park called "Long Acre Park". There is a huge, old-school wooden park that the boys LOVE. There is also a man-made lake and lots of paved walking paths. They loved feeding the ducks and geese. Cooper got pretty good on the mini-rings.

14 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I think you are talking me into moving to St. Louis! Or at least visiting for a while. You are so good at finding neat things for you and your family to do!

Seriously... said...

You need to go to the Magic House (though I don't think it's free :) It is a GREAT Children's Museum. Sounds like you're having lots of fun in St. Louis...too bad my sister in law doesn't live there anymore....

Matt and Adge said...

What a fun weekend, Cass! I wish my government-employed husband got all the "bank holidays" off. At least he gets off on "Nevada Day". I hope Gunner's finger and eye are healing well. He is looking so grown up!

gregandlaura said...

I can't believe how big your boys are!! Its crazy! st. louis looks like so much fun. Oh - to answer your question - it wasn't my kitchen, thats at my parents house. (I WISH THOUGH!) :)

Haley said...

Looks so fun, wish we had some good museums to go to. Keep up the awesome blog, love to visit it!

And P.S.
I was inspired to run the marathon, but I don't know if I could actually do it!

Matt and Adge said...

YEA! solisa is gone...good riddins, right? i think i like Christi and Jenni the best now. Although Bettina is up there :).

510Jen said...

Can I just say you all have way too much fun back there in Missouri. I might just need to be taking a trip sometime.

Elise said...

So fun! We actually went to a parade on Columbus day, who knew? a parade on Columbus day! It sounds like you guys are staying busy as ever and having lots of fun, good for you!

The Bentley's said...

you are so good at staying busy!! it all looks so fun. and poor gunner and his finger. did he still want to bowl after that?? we miss you!!! linds

wurstens5 said...

Looks like a lot of fun!! I love to get out and do fun things with the kids. Oh, by the way GO ROCKIES!!!!!

ashley said...

Man you guys keep super busy with a ton of fun stuff! Any suggestions on some Cleveland fun I don't know about?

Summer said...

You have so much energy! I feel like one little outing wipes me out for the rest of the day - you're a fun mommy!

Summer said...

And I saw that Adrienne posted a comment about the Bachelor...much to my husband's dissapointment I've been sucked in yet again : ) and I like Jenni the best too!

The Henderson Family said...

Looks like you are enjoying all that St. Louis has to offer. Do you love living there? I sure did. And all the FREE stuff, isn't it great. If you get the nerve, you should get a sitter and spend the night in the Lemp Mansion or at least go for a murder mystery dinner. It's a haunted mansion. The story behind it is pretty creepy. I would hope it is still open. Congrats on baby #3! Your boys are changing so much. I still remember when Cooper was brand new and Jamie Wursten was watching him. He was so tiny and now he is such a big boy. Both of your little guys are so cute!