Sunday, January 27, 2008

We love our Prophet!


We just heard the news that President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away about an hour ago. Sunday, January 27, 2008 at age 97. What a dear prophet he was. By far, he is the prophet I can remember the most about, and who I have learned the most from. What an amazing, amazing man. I will always remember his sweet demeanor, his deep love for the saints, his sense of humor, his "matter of fact" attitude, his amazing strength, and his example. Although he was 84 when he was called as prophet, he has always seemed so young, has traveled so much, and given an estimated 2,000 talks around the world! I know I got chills each time he would come to the pulpit. Especially, recently, when he said he didn't know why the Lord kept sparing his life and that "my life belongs to the church". What an example of how we should all live our lives.

As I mentioned, he has been around my whole life. He has been in the First Presidency since the year I was born (having been a member of the 12 apostles for 20 years prior to that), and he has been Prophet since I was about 14 years old. I have a hard time thinking I'll ever forget him...or even "move on", although I love President Monson (assuming he'll become the next prophet), and he has been around forever too. He has always seemed so young to me, but he turns 81 this year. I guess life keeps going.

I know President Hinckley is probably so happy he is having a reunion with his sweetheart, and so relieved that he didn't have to have a long, drawn-out illness. He lived such an amazing life, and I love him so much. I am so grateful for his big push to build more temples. Because of him, the Spokane, WA "small" temple was built, which is where Andrew and I were sealed for eternity. It was so neat to hear him speak at the dedication. The temple is actually off the "Opportunity" exit in the Spokane Valley, and I remember him saying, "what a perfect place for a temple...there are great 'opportunities" to be had here". There were only 47 temples when he became Prophet, and now there are 124 working temples, with 12 more under construction. It has been amazing to visit all the newly restored church history sites, as we have lived in the NE, most of which were restored under his direction.

One last thought, I will never forget teaching my first two children, Cooper and Gunner about our Prophet, and hearing Cooper pray for President Hinckley.

4 comments:

Tiff Gatten said...

Yes, he was a sweet, simple, humble, well spoken man that spoke with love not judgment. It was impossible not to like him. It's a shame more men aren’t like him. I believe that my favorite thing he said was, it possible to disagree without being disagreeable. I believe he was speaking of church doctrine, but it works well for all things. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet dedication! He really is remarkable...all his accomplishments in life and especially his selflessness, Wow!

Can I just tell you too that you are such a pleasant, sweet person who always has an abundance of compliments for everyone! I always notice that the comments you leave on fellow acquaintances' blogs are so complimentary. The world could use a few more of you!

Matt and Adge said...

What a nice post...it's hard to not feel a little lonely with him gone. But i can't help but feel so happy that he's completed such a full and wonderful life. What an inspiration is he!

Carrie Anne said...

That is such a neat tribute! I had forgotten that you met the Blairs at my parents' back in June! Aren't they so entertaining and fun? Peter (the one who got home in June) was not living with him after his mission because Grandpa said he'd never date if he did, so he wouldn't let him.:) So funny!

Yes, St. Louis is like that with the snow! Isn't that funny that it's such a deal to have an inch or two of snow? We have so much snow out here and a lot of the roads are not plowed and it's like no big deal... just make sure you have 4 wheel drive! Hope you are still feeling well!