Saturday, October 11, 2008

Some final goodbyes

Just got some pictures uploaded off Andrew's camera, and came across these few pictures of some of our final goodbyes at Scott AFB, IL. 


These first few are from our last day of church, August 3, in the Belleville Ward in the O'Fallon Stake in Illinois. It caused me to look back on our time there. Our ward had a wide range of ages, military and non-military families, and a lot of transient areas of apartments and such. Those who held callings, worked hard to hold things together. We actually had two sets of missionaries (Elders and Sisters). Andrew served as an Elders Quorom teacher, and as "Den Leader" of the cub scouts. This meant weekly den meetings. Cooper loved going to "Scub Scouts" with Dad. There were only a few boys who came regularly, but I have no doubt that Andrew did a great job and made a good impression in their lives.

I had the opportunity of serving as the Primary pianist (a dream calling for me), but my dream didn't last too long, as I was quickly also called as the secretary in the Primary presidency. I loved having the opportunity to serve with the children, and to get to see what Cooper was learning and doing too. The first presidency I served with was Mariah Steadman, Kim Martinez and Bonnie Naylor. I learned a lot from each of these women. Then I was kept as secretary for a new presidency pictured below...
Tracy Shields (chorister who took my job as secretary), Lisa Johnson (2nd C.), Joy Toone (1st C.), me, and Rose Polvado (President).

I really grew to love these sisters. We had so much fun together. They took me to lunch at a cute tea house for my birthday, made sure I was taken care of when I had Beckett, and even had a surprise going away party for me, complete with gifts, AMAZING food cooked by Rose (she is Hawaiian and knows how to cook!), and fun. Thanks for everything girls!

Cooper was in the CTR 5-boys primary class. Some days there were up to 7 boys there. They actually went through a few teachers while we were there, until they finally got the Birckheads (who seemed to be able to handle their energy). 

Pictured below, those in attendance the last day: Brennan Leafty, Frankie Spicer, Cooper, Logan Wilson, Liam Obray, and Natalie Noorlander (a sunbeam visiting). 

We also loved our neighborhood on base. A few months after we moved there, Adrian and Comrie moved in with their cute boy Jack. It was so fun having good neighbors. She always brought over yummy treats. For a month while their shifts overlapped (they both graduated from the Air Force Academy), I watched Jack for a few hours each day. It was so fun, and a great experience for Cooper and Gunner to get used to having a baby around. We miss you guys!

0 comments: