Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Anniversary of our Engagement


Thanks to the inspiration of some friends who posted about the anniversary of their engagements...you now get to hear ours! :) The picture is one of our "engagement photos".

Our engagement began March 23, 2000 (Brynne's birthday!). Eight years ago! It was about 6 months after we met. Andrew was actually still going to school at North Idaho College in Coeur d'Alene, and playing baseball. I had decided to head to BYU winter semester, to see if we still felt the same way about each other being apart. Lets just say, we talked every day and night (too bad we didn't have free mobile to mobile back then!) from January-April. We actually got to see each other quite often. I went home to surprise him on V-day, and then baseball started. He came to play Ricks, UVSC, Salt Lake Community College, Dixie, and I even took a trip to Vegas when he was there for a tournament. After 3 months of seeing each other everyday, it was hard to do the long-distance thing, but was SOOO worth it in the end!

So the proposal actually happened when he was in town playing a series against UVSC. We had plans to go to dinner that night with his sister's family at Tempenyaki (sp?). I picked him up at his hotel, and we had an amazing dinner. On the way back, he stopped in a random parking lot, and started talking about all my great qualities. Still...I didn't see it coming. He talked about how he had planned to propose to me at home plate before his game the next day, but that the more he thought about it, the more impersonal it seemed. Plus the ring was burning a whole in his pocket! :) So, he asked me to spend the rest of my life, and eternity, with him...and I said YES! After the tears, he said, "Oh, and here's your ring." :) I loved it. I actually had looked at rings with his sister (she lived in Provo at the time). I pointed out about 5 that I liked. Then, she sent pictures and things to Andrew, and he picked the diamond, and "the one". I loved it! We went back to his hotel (the La Quinta on University Blvd.) and called my parents and his from the pay phone. Then we stayed in the lobby of his hotel cuddling and talking until about 3 in the morning (good thing his coach didn't come out). :)

I am so glad he had the courage to come up to me in the library at NIC and ask if I was Mormon. :) I am SO glad we kept in touch through soccer and baseball trips, long enough for us to have our "first date". I am SO glad he got past my overprotective parents. (I was only 18 when we met!). I am SO glad the only dates I went on at BYU just confirmed my love for him. I am SO glad I took marriage prep with Dr. Barlow, and spent time really praying and studying to get "my answer". I am SO glad the Spirit confirmed "us" to Andrew in the celestial room of the Spokane Temple. I am SO glad we were sealed for time and all eternity in that same temple July 8, 2000. I am SO glad I married someone who is so supportive, loving, fun, and an AMAZING DAD! After a year in Oklahoma (where he played baseball and I dental assisted), 2 years at BYU (where he worked hard to get into dental school, I graduated in PR, and we both worked a ton!), 4 years in Cleveland at dental school (way to go hun!), and now a year of residency with the Air Force here in St. Louis....I STILL FEEL SO LUCKY HE CHOSE ME!!! And our love has only grown. Especially as we have shared our love with our 2 amazing boys, and one on the way!

Love you honey!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Cute post Cassie! I was only 18 when I met Garrett too. I know what you mean about the parents being a little overprotective:) I had Dr. Barlow too, I love that guy!

Anonymous said...

You guys look so cute! Haven't changed a bit:)